I'm so glad your Dixie is doing well!! I haven't read about it, but in my experience when I have gotten young FELV cats/kittens, they tend to decline and die at age 2.5 to 3 yrs old. If I get another one that young, I intend to put it on daily interferon and see if we can make it thru that stage! I do know someone who has had their FELV cat thru the age of 3 - has had her on daily interferon. Kitty does great, is probably 5 or 6 now...?

I have one FEV cat now that's just made it past 3 - name is BB. I acquired him recently, when he was about 4. He's healthy and happy. I have two others that are over 10, but that's a different story :)

I don't know what it is about that age - whether it's the type of FELV that they have or what.

Gloria

On Nov 15, 2007, at 1:26 AM, Marylyn wrote:

I've heard several people refer to 3 as the magic age. Exactly what do you mean? I am unsure of Dixie's age but she has been with me for almost 3 years now and is as healthy as she can be most of the time. Just normal minor problems except for the teeth and that seems to be ok now.

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow man. St. Francis
----- Original Message -----
From: Gloria Lane
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: Interferon Question

Hi Gary,

Never heard of that for interferon alpha. LIke Lance said, maybe it's for VO.

I can't see the harm for a diabetic cat. But my experience with FELV cats is that they can look so great, then turn symptomatic, and in my experience theres not much that can be done when they're symptomatic, at least for the young ones that I've had. So I'd probably try it out. I remember when I got Calawalla Banana and she was about 6 months to a year. She looked so healthy and hearty. Then at 2.5 yr she developed lymphoma and nothing we did would touch it. I'd wished I'd had her on interferon prior to her being symptomatic.

(The interferon alpha protocol I use is a daily dose - not the on and off.)

On the other hand, I now have 2 FELV cats that are over 10, and 1 that's 4-5. Go figure. They were over the magic age of 3 when I got them, so it's nothing I've done that's kept them going...

Good luck,

Gloria