________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline
Kaufmann
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:31 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: RE: OT: sick 6 mo kitten follow-up

The saga continues with my sick cat Brumley.  I don't know what to do
any more.  The conventional vet that saw him on Dec. 24 got the results
back from the Toxoplasmosis test and is was neg. (I can't remember if I
reported this info this site or not).  So when the Toxo test came back
neg, the vet totally reversed gears from the day before (when he said he
didn't think it was FIP b/c Brumley only test pos. for high globulin and
high protein, but not a corona virus, antibody, etc.).  So he completely
went back on that and said, basically, he thinks it's FIP b/c he has
nothing else to go on and b/c Brumley is showing 2 of the 3 indicators
of it (but still no "wet" indicators like the swollen belly).  I think
it's the eye that is really throwing him off and I can't for the love of
god, get any vet to explain/diagnose/tell me what to with that eye.  I
have asked if I should be putting anything in it and both the
conventional vet and my holistic vet just say "no."  So, I had a phone
consult about Brumley with my holistic vet and she reviewed the blood
work and said she doesn't think it's FIP- that a severely dehydrated cat
will have high globulin and high protein in the blood panel.  And the
fact that is his neg. for corona- she just doesn't think it's FIP.  She
has of course treated FIP cats/kittens and had some herself and she told
me she has NEVER seen the "dry" form of FIP in a kitten (Brum's 7
mths)-- only in older, adult cats does the dry form come out.  She said
she always sees it in kittens in the clear wet form with the swollen
belly and other signs of fluid retention and then they die quickly.  And
Brum's been lingering on like this for a while now

So, I just went about feeding him and making him comfy- moving him into
the room with the other other guys (he'd already been exposed to them
before I had him); stopped the subcu fluids b/c I didn't think he needs
them.  I guess it's been two weeks since then and he just kind of hangs
out-- eats- he always eats good- no matter what.  But about last week he
seemed to lose some personality and he laid around a lot and stopped
batting around toys.  By this past Sun., my mom and I were discussing
that he had gone down, down and we were worried.  I don't have a
thermometer for cats, but I could tell he had a fever and just felt
crappy (altho he still eats and drinks water when feeling bad!).  I gave
him a fluid treatment- I thought his pink looked really white and
thought it couldn't hurt.  The fluid bump hung around forever tho?  I
got him in to see the holistic vet on Monday evening and my mom took
him.  The Dr. kind of laughed off my mom's concerns that Brumley was
going to die and that his eye looked horrible.  She told my mom she
thinks he has something else going on besides the eye-- like some kind
of infection somewhere else in the body, but she doesn't know where.  So
she wanted me to stop his Clavamox and try some other immune boosting
things.  Again, my mom asked about the eye and should we be putting
anything in it to treat it, and the Dr. was just like no.

So of course, Brum was better just the next day (Tues.) and I could tell
the fever broke.  He was batting around a toy the very next morning.
Still eating great.

But then by Wed. night, he was just sleeping the whole time in a cubby
hole, seemed to have a fever again and not playing (still eating tho).
So I thought, well maybe his holistic vet is right, he is working on
fighting off some infection and when it gets too hard for his body to
fight it, he succumbs a little bit and the fever comes back, etc.  So,
this morning, it's the same.  Lots of sleeping and fever still around.
Even worse, his eye looks worse.  I swear, it looks like the cavity or
something is filled with blood b.c the eye appears to be a diff't color
than the other and you can see that it looks like blood behind the eye.
So now, it looks "bloodier" and as if the blood has settled down to the
bottom of the eye more- like it pooled there.  And now, there are even
more cloudy/greyish white spots on the surface of the eyeball.  Ugh.
I'm worried.  But my mom is worse-- she's a worry-wart prone to
histrionics and having these two sick/down cats (Brum and Possum) with
her around, literally sucks my will to live.  She just wants to keep
running Brumley to vets b/c she thinks he needs something put into the
eyeball and then she asks me "how long can this go on" (meaning how long
do we give Brumley a chance to fight this off- which I now recall is the
same GD thing my stupid sister said to me about Monkee after the blood
transfusion...sigh).  And it's just killing me- the stress.  She totally
makes it worse, so keeping her at bay is a draining task too.

Plus, it's like, this isn't even my cat!  He technically belongs to the
no-kill group I vol for, yet I am the only one dealing with the stress
of his care and illness!!!!  It's only the other run-of-the-mill vols
that call me and ask about him.  But his original foster, and the lady
who is I guess "in charge" and the bane of my existence and she's also
on the board (sigh)- she doesn't even ask about him anymore!  She had a
teleph. convo with my holistic vet before I first talked to the vet
about Brum where she actually told the vet, "well you know, we're going
to lose some of them" and now my vet won't deal with her due to that
comment (and rightfully so), b/c it's like, you pulled these kittens out
of Metro AC in June and they have struggled ever since and Brumley's in
the condition he's in, in part because of lack of care and attention by
this group and so now, we're just going to "play the numbers" and let
him linger on until death instead of getting the necessary vet care for
a cat that we agreed to take on the minute he was pulled from Metro?!?
I could scream.

I'm so frustrated.

I think I can take a picture of Brumley's eye tonight with my webcam and
email it, so if anyone is willing to take a look at it, let me know so I
can email it directly b/c this site won't take it if I try to send to
all.  I would really just like to hear someone say "yeah, I've seen that
before!" when it comes to his eye- instead of these two vets who act
like they have never seen it before and don't address the eye care
directly...

caroline