  From: Caroline Kaufmann
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:13 PM
  Subject: RE: new cat

  Hi Lynne.  Thanks for taking in this baby and doing all that you have for
him.  I think that's great.  Definitely keep him if he is asymptomatic right
now.  Any vet that recommends a cat that has tested positive for Felv ONE TIME
and is asymptomatic is a quack (in my opinion).  The veterinary profession has
come a long way in extending the lives of these cats and any vet that does not
recognize that is not up on his/her research.  There can be false positives
with these tests, so it is recommended he be retested again in 6 months.
Please see my other recent post regarding "Buzz" b/c it has a lot of the same
information about retesting.

  In addition, if you are going to keep him, you should look for a vet that is
committed to proactively treating asymptomatic Felv cats.  Do your research.
Vet "hop" if you have to, but it is worth it to screen and to find the right
vet who regularly treats Felv+ cats, is up on the research and will work with
you to extend the cat's life.  There are many immune boosting things you can do
yourself now to help your cat.  Also, a high quality diet is key.  There is an
online group that is devoted to the discussion of a high quality diet for cats
(especially cats with immune disorders) and I recommend you join it.  I am
somewhat up on the research of the importance of diet, but not near as much as
these people.  I will get the website address and post it here in a few.

  Keep in mind that no one can tell you how long your cat will live.  There are
so many variables and because of that, it is ALWAYS worth trying- especially
when they are asymptomatic.  Please read thru the archives b/c many people have
asked this very same question and the answers are always the same-- we don't
know, but it's worth a try.  Especially if you start proactively working to
make him comfortable, reduce his stress (very key) and boost his immune system,
there really is no limit to where he can go.  One of my vets had an Felv cat
live to be 12 and then she died of something completely unrelated- she never
even became symptomatic and never even suffered from the Felv.  So there are
success stories out there like that.  And remember, all cats will die.  It
sucks.  They will almost always leave us before we are ready and no cat will
ever live to be 30 yo!  So from the minute we take them in and start to love
them, their time with us is limited and all we can do in the meantime is shower
them with love and affection and give them the best life possible.

  caroline