Any responsible vet will treat an FeLV+ kitty.  One of the first things
to know about this virus is that it isn't nearly as casually contagious
as was first thought, though it is more readily transmittable than the
other bugaboo, FIV.  Unless the cat is in a position to bite other cats,
or is sharing food and water with them, which is not likely in an
emergency-vet situation, it's not readily transmittable.  And as some on
this list will attest, from letting their + kitties mingle with their
negatives, even the food and drink isn't necessarily a problem.  My
Patches escaped his temporary confinement -- he was a 3 a.m. rescue, we
lured him into our back hall, fed him, left him there blocked from the
rest of the house by a 7-foot screen door, and went back to sleep...at 6
a.m. woke up to find him in our FRONT porch room 50 feet from where we'd
left him, having a conversation with one of our other cats!  He'd had 3
hours to get over or under that door, wander the length of the house and
interact with all the cats, and partake of their grazing crunchies and
water.  He died 6 weeks later, but none of the others have shown a
single symptom.  If he had lived, we would have had the others
vaccinated as an extra precaution, and let him hang out with them.  As
it was, we had to keep him in a room by himself while he was sick, and
he really wanted to join us all, he was such a sociable little guy.
That was really hard.

At least we were able to give him some comfort -- when he came, he had
such huge, severe mats of fur on his sides that they looked like wings.
They must have hurt him horribly, he wouldn't let you touch him past his
shoulders.  He came to us over a 4th of July long weekend so it was a
few days before we could get him to the vet, and we were able to get
some of the matting off him by me distracting him and my housemate
snipping at the mats practically one strand of fur at a time.  (A few
months later, cleaning behind some furniture in the porch room, we found
another piece of "wing" that he must have rubbed off himself on the
furniture.)  He was also filthy, and we would pet him with damp cloths
wherever he'd let us, and he cleaned up into a lovely Turkish Van.
Thankfully, our vets, who don't usually do extensive grooming like this,
took pity and were able to clean him up and deflea him during his exam.
After that he loved being petted all over.  We would gladly have
kneecapped whoever left him out on his own to get into this condition,
even if he had been FeLV negative!  We had already socialized a
near-feral cat, and it had taken months.  This guy was immediately
friendly and had obviously been someone's pet.

Oops, I digressed a little there!   But the point is that no
knowledgeable vet would refuse to treat a cat on the basis of its FeLV
status.  It's so good that your regular vet is being so supportive.  It
can be really disheartening to have to look for a new vet on top of
everything else.

Diane R.