Check with Alley Cat Advocates or any TNR group in your area. Consider them a feral colony. They will help you. Live trapping is easy. Just remember to be very careful. A feral bit my finger and broke it.....and, two surgeries later, it is doing fine. Luckily I had good insurance. And still had possession of the cat so she could be spayed and quarantined for the appropriate amount of time. If your cats really want to be outside, put up a dog kennel so they can go thru the pet door into the kennel. It is great. With farmland, you probably have fox and coyote. They will kill a cat in a heart beat. My Mom has ferals (people dump them in the strip mall behind her property) and she has to be concerned about the hawks. I just got a very small kitten from the pine thicket. She is in the bedroom now, napping. All of this is to say, be careful with your own cats. I did not realize all the dangers when I moved to the farm. I had hoped to have lots of cared for outside cats. That probably won't happen. Help the ferals you can. Mom has had a couple of dozen spayed/neutered and released. Some stay, some go. It is very hard when they go and all you can do is hope they found a good place to live. ACA has a good website with lots of information re caring for ferals.

I am very sorry Trixter left this world. I just lost Dixie Louise. She made my life so much better though. I would not have missed one second of the time we had together. Not a nano second.

Good luck.