Lack of communication, and people not caring about their jobs. We had a similar
situation this week at the shelter where I work. A resident was missing a dog,
but she saw him on Petfinder so she knew he was at the shelter. She called us
on Monday to let us know that she'd be coming to pick up the dog on Tuesday,
since we're closed to the public on Mondays. My idiot co-worker who answered
the phone not only refused to let the woman pick up the dog on Monday, she
never even bothered to let our director know that the dog would be reclaimed
the next day. Needless to say, the family came to retrieve their dog at 10 am
Tuesday, but the dog had been euthanized just a couple of hours before. I
wasn't there on Monday, by the way, and that would NOT have happened if I had
been the one to pick up that phone call.
And sometimes even having a verbal committment from a rescue does no good. I'll
never forget Dixie, a big longhaired tortie we had last summer. She was
scheduled to be pulled....but I couldn't save her even though I insisted that
rescue was coming.
I'm so sorry that happened. I know how horrible it feels when you try so hard
to get them out and something gets screwed up.
Laura