Your grief is much fresher than mine.  It is not necessary to meet an
animal to love it. I am amazed that some of these "shelters" are so
careless with the lives of sick/challenged animals.  How awful for the
original caretaker too.  First to be put in a nursing home then to
have your friends killed for no reason.