Glad you're back MC!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of MaryChristine
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:03 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Stray Kitty I took in tests positive

i respectfully disagree.

asymptomatic FeLVs are not sick cats. every sanctuary or multi-cat
household
will gell you that until the virus is activated, FeLVs are just normal
cats--they get sick, they get treated, they get well. in sanctuary
settings,
FeLVs are kept with other FeLVs, in all stages of sickness and health.
since
FeLV kills through opporunistic infections as well as lymphomas and
other
manifestations, if the healthy FeLVs in the populations were seriously
immune-compromised, each time one of them went into their final battle,
all
the others would get sick as well and be unable to fight off the
onslaughts
of new infections.

this does not happen. if you have two FeLVs in the house and one becomes
ill, why doesn't the other, "sick" cat, immediately succumb? this is
another
misunderstanding, i truly believe, from vets who haven't bothered to
keep up
on the research, and/or to adequately educate their patients.

let me tell you, however, if you've ever seen a cat die of
panleukopenia,
you won't ever want it to happen again.

there are ALWAYS risks in using ANY drug, and while there have certainly
been reactions to vaccines throughout time, the way to counter our
over-vaccinated society isn't necessarily to stop doing them at all.

a symptomatic cat is sick; it may not have a thing to do with the FeLV,
but
an asymptomatic cat being sick because it may have FeLV, is like saying
that
all of us who had chicken pox are sick, because we've got that herpes
virus
just waiting to break out into herpes.

MC
(haven't you missed me?)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM, MacKenzie, Kerry N. <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sally, I personally would not vaccinate a positive cat. See Jean
Dodds'
> and Charles Loop's (both vets) views here. (The paragraph below is
taken
> from the website.) Kerry M.
>
> http://www.newsagepress.com/protectyourpet.html

> injected only in healthy animals. In the case of cats, vaccine
> manufacturers advise against vaccinating pregnant or nursing cats.
> However, many pets are not healthy when vaccinated although they might
> not have outward signs of health problems. Charles Loops, DVM, a
> holistic veterinarian from Pittsboro, North Carolina, notes that
> "chemically killed viruses or bacteria are injected directly into the
> blood stream, which is an unnatural route of infection." (7) This
causes
> the animal's antibodies to attempt to fight off the offending virus
> molecules and render them harmless. If the animal's immune system is
too
> weakened, he or she cannot fight off these viruses and can develop a
> reaction to the vaccine. Even small amounts of a virus that is
> introduced through a vaccination may be too much for sick animals to
> fight off. They then may fall ill from the very disease to which they
> have been vaccinated.<<<

May

_____

> IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any tax advice expressed above by Mayer Brown
LLP
> was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any
taxpayer
> to avoid U.S. federal tax penalties. If such advice was written or
used to
> support the promotion or marketing of the matter addressed above, then
each
> offeree should seek advice from an independent tax advisor.
> This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for
the
> use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you
have
> received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you
are
> not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy
this
> e-mail.

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....

MaryChristine
Special-Needs Coordinator, Purebred Cat Breed Rescue
(www.purebredcats.org)
Member, SCAT (Special-Cat Action Team)