From: Heather <furrygi...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Felvtalk] Bashful to cross at 2:15 today (EST) Tampa, FL
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Cc: "Duke, Melanie" <md...@admin.usf.edu>
Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 1:50 PM

I haven't posted much lately, sadly have had quite a few rescue losses in
the last months as well as rescue "emergencies" which has me so
behind on
all fronts....

However, one of our dear, fairly elderly university campus ferals, Bashful,
will be crossing this afternoon and I wanted to share her story so that many
thoughts will be with her.

Bashful's caregiver has been taking care of her for at least 10 years, she
disappeared a couple of weeks ago which was attributed to roofers at the
Library where she has lived for so many years.   When she showed back up she
was clearly in dire need of help.   Elaine her caregiver called me for help
trapping, 2 friends and I set out without much success the first two
days--it was heartbreaking, she was half under the drop trap the first night
but just a bit of food made her choke & cough so horribly, we had tears in
our eyes just hearing & watching.  Her neck was very, very swollen
impairing
her ability to eat and walk.

We got her 2 nights later, began b/w, exam....cytology via needle aspirate
confirmed a high grade, aggressive lymphoma.

We discussed the possibility of chemo but Bashful is very feral and already
unhappy even being at the vet, it was clear this was not going to be a way
to give her quality time and that she was already in a very bad state.

One of my good campus friends who came to the call to help drop trap is
leaving now to be with Bashful for her final moments.   Bashful was not
FELV+ (likely was FIV+), but I know many here can sympathize with the
dreadful diagnosis of lymphoma.

We treat feral cats for illnesses as much as we possibly can, I've actually
got 14 campus feral kitty Bobbye on my porch now for that reason (CRF, FIV+,
along with Toxoplasmosis & possible eye tumor which has not
progressed--she's done well other than not liking the fluids of
course)....but it just didn't seem there were any way we could put Bashful
through chemo, weekly vet visits, and possibly never feeling good enough for
the time to have been of quality for her.   She is very stressed at my vet
and we hope things go as peacefully as possible this afternoon.

Go with love, sweet Bashful, and know how badly we wanted to help you--you
will not be forgotten.

Heather