From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Heather
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 1:25 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Bashful to cross at 2:15 today (EST) Tampa, FL

I would like to add, please also send prayers for Pepper, Bashful's
elderly
buddy who after being treated for scabies recently, is still going
strong at
the Library, but she is FIV+, also more than 10 years old and is
deaf....Bashful was Pepper's "ears" and we know Pepper will miss her
very
much.   Please pray for Pepper's safety.

Heather

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Heather <furrygi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't posted much lately, sadly have had quite a few rescue losses
in
> the last months as well as rescue "emergencies" which has me so behind
on
> all fronts....
>
> However, one of our dear, fairly elderly university campus ferals,
Bashful,
> will be crossing this afternoon and I wanted to share her story so
that many
> thoughts will be with her.
>
> Bashful's caregiver has been taking care of her for at least 10 years,
she
> disappeared a couple of weeks ago which was attributed to roofers at
the
> Library where she has lived for so many years.   When she showed back
up she
> was clearly in dire need of help.   Elaine her caregiver called me for
help
> trapping, 2 friends and I set out without much success the first two
> days--it was heartbreaking, she was half under the drop trap the first
night
> but just a bit of food made her choke & cough so horribly, we had
tears in
> our eyes just hearing & watching.  Her neck was very, very swollen
impairing
> her ability to eat and walk.
>
> We got her 2 nights later, began b/w, exam....cytology via needle
aspirate
> confirmed a high grade, aggressive lymphoma.
>
> We discussed the possibility of chemo but Bashful is very feral and
already
> unhappy even being at the vet, it was clear this was not going to be a
way
> to give her quality time and that she was already in a very bad state.
>
> One of my good campus friends who came to the call to help drop trap
is
> leaving now to be with Bashful for her final moments.   Bashful was
not
> FELV+ (likely was FIV+), but I know many here can sympathize with the
> dreadful diagnosis of lymphoma.
>
> We treat feral cats for illnesses as much as we possibly can, I've
actually
> got 14 campus feral kitty Bobbye on my porch now for that reason (CRF,
FIV+,
> along with Toxoplasmosis & possible eye tumor which has not
> progressed--she's done well other than not liking the fluids of
> course)....but it just didn't seem there were any way we could put
Bashful
> through chemo, weekly vet visits, and possibly never feeling good
enough for
> the time to have been of quality for her.   She is very stressed at my
vet
> and we hope things go as peacefully as possible this afternoon.
>
> Go with love, sweet Bashful, and know how badly we wanted to help
you--you
> will not be forgotten.
>
> Heather

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any tax advice expressed above by Mayer Brown LLP was
not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer to
avoid U.S. federal tax penalties. If such advice was written or used to support
the promotion or marketing of the matter addressed above, then each offeree
should seek advice from an independent tax advisor.