>From another list I'm on, I understand that for newborns at least, corn
syrup (most often rubbed on their gums) is a zero-energy-expending way for
them to get some nourishment.  I wonder if that is the rationale behind the
Nutrical formula?

Diane R.

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Sharyl
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 9:12 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Wilson and I

Judy,
I don't want to get into a food fight with Karen but Nutri-Cal should not be
used as a replacement for food.  Here are the ingredients from Doctors
Foster and Smith web site.

Regular Nutri-Cal
Ingredients: Corn Syrup, Soybean Oil, Malt Syrup, Cod Liver Oil, Cane
Molasses, Methylcellulose, Water, Gelatin By-products, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl
Acetate (Vitamin E), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Manganese Sulfate, Iron
Peptonate, Thiamine HCl, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate (Source of
Calcium and Pantothenic Acid), Magnesium Sulfate, Pyridoxine HCl, Vitamin A
Palmitate & D3 supplement, Potassium Iodide (Source of Iodine and
Potassium), Riboflavin5, Phosphate Sodium (Source of Vitamin B2 and
Phosphorus), Folic Acid and Cyancobalamin (Vitamin B12).

As you can see the primary ingredient is corn oil.  A much better choice for
short term assistance is meat baby food.  A jar of Gerber 2 Chicken and
Gravy has 100 calories.  Try to work up to 200 calories per day with Wilson.
The only way to know for sure if he is getting enough calories is to weigh
him regularly on a good digital postal or baby scale.  Most pate style
canned foods can be blended with a little liquid and are easily syringed.
My Pequita, CRF, prefers her food offered on a baby spoon.  She wont eat off
her plate but I am able to maintain her body wt. by offering her food
several times per day on her baby spoon.  Each kitty is unique.  You just
need to find the feeding method that works best for Wilson.  May kitties
will start eating on their own again once they feel better.
Sharyl