To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Wilson and I

Judy,
I don't want to get into a food fight with Karen but Nutri-Cal should not be used as a replacement for food. Here are the ingredients from Doctors Foster and Smith web site.

Regular Nutri-Cal
Ingredients: Corn Syrup, Soybean Oil, Malt Syrup, Cod Liver Oil, Cane Molasses, Methylcellulose, Water, Gelatin By-products, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Manganese Sulfate, Iron Peptonate, Thiamine HCl, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate (Source of Calcium and Pantothenic Acid), Magnesium Sulfate, Pyridoxine HCl, Vitamin A Palmitate & D3 supplement, Potassium Iodide (Source of Iodine and Potassium), Riboflavin5, Phosphate Sodium (Source of Vitamin B2 and Phosphorus), Folic Acid and Cyancobalamin (Vitamin B12).

As you can see the primary ingredient is corn oil. A much better choice for short term assistance is meat baby food. A jar of Gerber 2 Chicken and Gravy has 100 calories. Try to work up to 200 calories per day with Wilson. The only way to know for sure if he is getting enough calories is to weigh him regularly on a good digital postal or baby scale. Most pate style canned foods can be blended with a little liquid and are easily syringed. My Pequita, CRF, prefers her food offered on a baby spoon. She wont eat off her plate but I am able to maintain her body wt. by offering her food several times per day on her baby spoon. Each kitty is unique. You just need to find the feeding method that works best for Wilson. May kitties will start eating on their own again once they feel better.
Sharyl