So I've been posting about my cat Wolfie who has been losing weight since about
mid 2006, from 15.4 lbs down to 10.8 lbs today.  His last visit was on July 2nd
and he had a HCT of 29.  He also tested positive for Mycoplasma haemominutum
previously called Haemobartonella felis small form.  He's been on doxy, pred,
and Pet-Tinic twice daily for almost a month.

My vet thought he looked great today and he hasn't lost any weight since his
last visit but he's not gaining and his HCT is still going down.  We took a
tiny amount of blood and sent it out for a reticulocyte count.  I've lost
almost all my leuk positives to anemia in the end (except for one to lymphoma
and one to neurological issues) and I'm really bummed out by the news.  I was
hoping treating the Hemobart would help the HCT even though my vet wasn't as
optimistic.

I'm just wondering how most people here lose their leuk positives.  It seems
all of mine do so well, are completely asymptomatic and then out of nowhere
they stop making red blood cells, the HCT starts to drop, and it is downhill
from there.  My vet wrote me a 10 page letter on everything that could cause
weight loss and anemia and we have eliminated almost all the possibilities I
think.  We haven't done a digestive panel yet because it takes 4 mls of blood
and I don't want to do that with his HCT dropping.  If the reticulocyte test
comes back and shows he is making red blood cells, we will start investigating
digestive issues or anything else that could be causing his lower HCT.  If it
comes back as nonregenerative anemia, is there anything I can do?  I know there
is the option of Epogen and I'm looking into that.  Anything else or do I just
spend time with him and wait?  I hate this point where they are feeling fine,
looking fine, and I know it's only
 a matter of time :(  This guy has been with me longer than any of my other
positives and I'd do anything to help him but I'm afraid there's nothing else I
can do.  Thoughts?

Amy