You will receive wonderful advise from this board....much better than I can give you. My story is that a wonderful throw-away showed up at Mom's. Due to some problems (read two dead cats at two different vets) in a very short time, I took the little girl to my personal vets (Middletown Animal Clinic) in Louisville, KY to be spayed and taken to my farm. Dixie, as she soon became known, was FELV+. Greg Bishop called with the blood test results and you could hear his heart in his mouth. I knew nothing about FELV but he and Steve Koehler talked me through it. We came up with a way to keep Dixie that involved me sleeping in a garage with her at my mother's, then moving her to a single wide then to a farm house + a home in Louisville. She was my darling for three years, healthy and happy until a little bite before she left this world and broke my heart. She had everything......All of this is to say, don't listen to the people who tell you there is no quality of life....I promise you, no cat lived the life Dixie lived. Don't watch a calendar....we all start dying the minute we take our first breath and no one knows when we will leave this world.....Don't grieve......you have wonderful lives in your hands. Learn from them. Accept them. Let them give to you and, in turn, give to them. I give credit to my holistic vet, Betty Boswell, for helping keep Dixie health and happy. Between Middletown Animal Clinic and Betty I had the best of all support. If you have a holistic vet, please contact her/him for support. For me, a mixture of styles work. You have to chose. Dixie left this world in June 2008. In July, over a period of two weeks, Dixie sent me two very healthy kittens from the pine thicket she came from. Copper and Thomas Cougar live with me now and have taken my grief and turned it to joy.

Listen to the people on this board who have faced this time and time again. I have once. I don't ever want to again because it is an awful thing. However, had either boy been FELV+ or if any future kitten/cat comes my way with this problem.......well, we'll get through it together.