Hello Sara,  just about 1 year ago, I was new to this group because a new cat I
adopted thru my vet turned out to be felv positive.  I am lucky, my vet said I
had 2 choices, put her to sleep or keep her and deal with whatever came up.  He
also told me that many felv pos. cats live long healthy lives.  So, I opted to
keep Annie.  Her owner was dying of liver cancer and she had always been an
only, indoor cat.  She had been left alone in Kathy's trailer for 3 weeks with
her only human contct being the sister coming and puting out food and changing
her litter box.  She was extremely stressed, frightened and confused.  When she
came home with me, she had to get used to being with another cat which was a
probelm because she is an alpha female and had been a spoiled, only cat all 4
years of her life.  We did the 2nd test right away and then waited 6 months to
retest because we both were hoping that once the stress was out of her life,
she might be negative.  No such luck.  No special treatment for her, she now
has 4 new sisters and 1 brother.  2 of the new girls are also alpha, but slowly
but surely, they are working out their places in my house.  Annie is still
positive as is the last girl to come to me, Nitnoy (Thai for little one) who
had her tail bitten off by a raccoon.  Both of them are fat, sassy, loving and
healthy cats.  The other girls and Bob are all current on their felv
vaccinations.  They are all together.  I think the most important thing is to
keep the stress at a minimum, provide good quality food, shelter and lots of
love.  My pride takes turns sleeping on my bed and sitting on my lap.  The only
special thing I do is give Enisyl-F Lysine Treats which help boost the immune
system.  The taste good and they all like them so it makes it easy to
"medicate" them.  Other than that, i keep a close eye on them and if it looks
like something may be wrong, off to the vet we go.
My only experience with death of my babies, is due to old age, hyper thyroid
and stroke.  I had 6 boys and 1 girl.  Shali and Tigger died from thyroid at 13
and 14.  Shadow and Shorty died from stroke at 19.  Snuggles from kidney
infection at 19.
Shalimar was hit by a car and Tut died of grief after he "raised" their kittens
(Shali and Tigger) who were 1 week old when she was killed.  I bottle fed them
.  Whether they are young or old when they cross the bridge, it hurts the same.
 I wasn't going to take on so many ever again, but one by one they came to me,
needing someone to love them and I couldn't say no.  So, no matter when Annie
and Nitnoy cross over, they will get all the love and care I can give them in
the meantime.  In short, don't let someone else make the decision to keep or
let go for you.  God has put them in your safe keeping for a purpose and He
will let you know when to let them go.  Dorlis