Joyce,  yes, you have taken on a bit of a job, but i think you will find it is
worthwhile.  i took in Annie 3 weeks after her owner went into hospice.  she
was locked up in her trailer all that time with the owner's sister coming once
a day to put out food and change her litter box.  she had no understanding of
what happened, why her person left her alone and then the sister stuffed her
into a box and brought her to our vet.  then i put her in my carrier and
brought her home and suddenly instead of being an only cat, she was one of 2.
i tried keeping her in one room, but no one got any sleep.  so i let her out.
we had some hissing, screaming fits, and she spent many dys and night in the
basement, but she eventually came around and now is a very sweet, healthy felv
positive cat.  i have since brought in more cats (6 now) and each time we have
to restablish who is top cat, but everyone has survived and now we are fairly
comfortable with our roommates.  It just takes time for her to learn tht she
can trust you and to work out her place in the family.  be patient, love on her
every time you get a chance.  dorlis