Yes that's one standard way that vets treat it. But when it gets bad you can't just increase steroid dosage without some other risks.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 14, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Debbie Bates <dlh1...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Just wondering...when my sister's cat was having a flair up, they put him on steroids...is this not done any longer?

Debbie (COL)
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"  Philo

To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:54:26 -0500
From: lernermiche...@aol.com
Subject: [Felvtalk] stomatitis

Hi. I'm fostering an FIV+ cat right now who has pretty bad stomatitis. We had his teeth cleaned and 6 of them removed, and after a few weeks of antibiotics post-dental surgery he was doing much much better-- eating a lot more, gained 3 pounds in 3 weeks, not seeming to have any mouth pain and the redness was all gone. We stopped the antibiotics (which had been clindamycin then switched to clavamox) and he remained ok for a few days. He then went to a potential adoptive home with another FIV+ cat. A week later she called for us to get him back, largely because his mouth got really bad again. He is back on Clavamox, and has been for a few days, but is growling when he eats and can only eat wet food that we break up into very small pieces. His gums are very inflamed again. I had 6 FeLV+ cats, but was lucky that none had stomatitis like this. For those of you whose cats have it or had it, what do you recommend?

thanks,
Michelle