Marnie,
It sounds like you are doing the same thing I am.....I also have a
building, and I also keep FelV cats in a separate room, but I had
no problem getting liability insurance.  My cats don't attack people.
I only worried about someone falling on the sidewalk out front, or
having some other accident while on my property. I simply asked for
liability and fire insurance and got it. The insurance company didn't
ask me what the building was going to be used for, and I saw no reason
to mention the cats, because they aren't like dogs that attack people.
I don't understand why your cats INSIDE the building would keep you
from getting liability insurance.  It sounds like your insurance
company thinks you are insuring the cats not your building.