From: jbero tds.net <jb...@tds.net>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] URGENT: help needed re: info on transfusions/epogen, etc
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 10:13 PM

Sounds like the vet is not too interested in working with felv cats.  Gave
up before fighting, huh.

With a hematocrit of eight the cat's in real trouble.  If it's
hemobartonella the rbcs are being continually destroyed.  They will
generally transfuse around 18 so she doesn't have much time to make a
decision.  I would go to the emergency clinic if deciding to do the
transfusion as they often have blood in house.

For hemobartonella, all it would really take is a drop of blood to look at
under the the scope to see if there is agglutination.  It isn't a definitive
test, but very suggestive if there is a limited sample.

As far as treating with doxy at this hct, I would.  To the best of my
knowledge, doxy does not cause bone marrow suppression and the benefit of
treatment far outweighs the risk if this is truely a bartonella issue.

It is unfortunate further work-up wasn't done.  If it were me, I would
probably go to the emergency clinic, give sub q fluids, see if I could get a
smear to look for agglutination and if there was I would do the transfusion
and start doxy.  This, however, can be expensive and invasive.  She could
just try the doxy without a transfusion - in that case I would probably also
do prednisone as you need to stop any further destruction of rbcs, but only
for a matter of days.  It may not work, but it would be the least invasive
and less expensive.

She may than add some supplements - I'd do cod liver oil about half of human
gel capsule(for the Vitamin A, Vitamin D), NAC - about 100mg, and sodium
ascorbate - 750mg, and consider the herbal tonic.  As you know, no
guarantees, but God is in the business of miracles, I believe.

Good luck and God bless.

Jenny