RE:  parrots.  People should not be allowed ot adopt them unless they uflly
understand how long they live and how to properly care for them.  My boss had
an Amazon conyure name of Baltezar and after 6 years, it became a problem of
what to do with him when he was out of town, sometimes for a month or so.  I
always took him home with me and that was fine until my mother passed and then
Mr. B had no one to talk to all day and he became very iritable.  Fortunetly,
my boss knew a member of the Audobon Society who had a large greenhouse
attached to his house for his parrot.  He took him there and now he lives
secure that he will always have a good home.  When Marten passes, Mr. B. goes
to another member of the A soc.  Also, parrots can be destructive, very hard on
woodwork.  If angry, they can also inflict damage on their people.  We had
gotten a new typewriter and when it turned on, it made a sound Mr. B did not
like and I ended up with bites on my neck, ears, fingers and spent a good part
of the day sitting my chair with my feet on the wastecan with him circling like
Indians around a wagon train. Only when my boss got back and took him to his
perch, did he calm down. From then on, we left the typewriter turned on to
avoid a repeat performance.  Really, parrots, lions and tigers and wolves
should not be taken as pets.  They are better off left in the wild where they
have the freedom to go where they want and do what they want.  Unless you are
willing to live according to their rules, don't get one.