From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Christiane Biagi
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:06 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] How long can FeLV stay dormant?

I got my Tucson as a kitten--had her tested at around 2 months & she was
neg.  4 1/2 years later she was feeling poorly & a very sharp vet redid test
after her blood work showed lower than normal white blood count.  And sure
enough she tested positive (on Snap & IFA).  She had never been outside
since the first date we rescued out of a wall in an apt, had never been sick
& is still around, little 17 lb porker that she is.  Did a lot research
since then & talked to several vets....  basically, test is good but not
foolproof & virus may hide for a long time...  One vet told me the closest
you could come to really verifying test would be to do a retest at 1
year..not a viable option.

But for me, the most significant comment I ever received was the person who
pointed out that FELV is an ANCIENT virus & probably around since dinosaurs.
If it were anywhere near as lethal & contagious as we've been led to
believe, we would have no domestic cats left.  Bottom line, between the
testing issues & my own experiences with my 2 FELV+ cats, my guess is that
there are a whole lot of cats out there living quite normal lives who are
pos but nobody knows it.  Remember, these cats don't die from the virus but
rather from certain cancers or URIs or UTIs or any sort of infection.  How
can we ever know whether the cats we all had as kids (when nobody ever went
to the vet-LOL) who died from some illness weren't positive?