From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Maureen Olvey
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:59 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] How long can FeLV stay dormant?

I think you're right.  I couldn't adopt out to a person without telling them
everything.  It's not right to do that and I would feel so guilty.  Then
it's their decision as to whether they want him or not.  The kitty did test
negative yesterday so there's hope he won't or doesn't have it but time will
tell.  Yeah, I think I'll just try to find him a home as the only cat.  If I
can't find him a home, he can stay with me.  I've already decided to keep
most of my fosters since I found out so what's one more as they say!

Thanks for your input.  You kind of confirmed what I had been thinking.  I
just wanted to hear it from someone else.

I wish I had known the kitty that had it was positive before she died.  She
didn't show any symtoms until the day before she died.  Her breathing was
kind of shallow and rapid so I took her to the vet and they found that she
was bleeding in her chest and she died while we were talking about it.  They
did the necropsy and saw the huge tumor in her chest and the vet said it
ruptured a vein or something around her heart.  The vet was curious about it
because the kitty was not yet two years old so she did a combo test and it
came out with a strong positive for FeLV.  If I had known I wouldn't have
ever taken in any more fosters but I had no clue.  She tested negative as a
kitten and never looked sick so I had no reason to suspect it.  It sucks.  I
love them all but she was special to me.

"I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are
profitable to the human race or doesn't..the pain which it inflicts upon
sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further." - Mark
Twain

> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:21:50 -0400
> From: at...@optonline.net
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] How long can FeLV stay dormant?
>
> That does present a problem - that's precisely the reason why I cannot mix
> the cats..... I cannot take the chance that a cat getting adopted from us
> might possibly infect an adopter's cat. If they were all here to stay, I
> would definitely do it. I also do not mix FIV with FeLV - don't want to
> expose each to yet another disease - not fair to them, as long I have
> separate areas for each group.
> Follow your instinct....if you believe that the kitten would be happy
being
> the only one in a household, try to find one without another cat. I would
> not take the chance with someone's cat, and it wouldn't be fair NOT to
tell
> an adopter the situation, right?

The
> > two FeLV+ cats we have, are very healthy, exhibit absolutely no signs of
> any
> > symptoms. I'm not sure what exactly it means when someone says that a
FeLV