From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Maureen Olvey
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:50 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] How long can FeLV stay dormant?

The reason I'm curious about it is because of my foster cats.  Some people,
including some vets, are saying that since they've been exposed to it this
long and they tested negative recently that they should be fine and to go
ahead and adopt them out.  My 8 month old kitten came here when he was 8
weeks old so he's been exposed to FeLV for 6 months.  I'm not sure how many
cats in my house may have it, but the one that died last week did test
positive which is how I found out about it.  So far, I have only tested 3 of
my other cats so far and they were negative so I really don't know yet if
any others in my house have it.  So as far as the 8 month old kitten goes, I
wonder if that's enough time for it to show up on a combo test.  I don't
want to adopt him to someone with a cat and then their cat catch it from
him.  If I were the person looking to adopt a cat and I knew for sure the
kitty had been exposed to FeLV even if he tested negative yesterday I
probably wouldn't adopt him.

Anyone have any opinions?  Should I put him up for adoption?

"I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are
profitable to the human race or doesn't..the pain which it inflicts upon
sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further." - Mark
Twain

> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:06:29 -0700
> From: westnint...@yahoo.com
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] How long can FeLV stay dormant?
>
> Good for you. Mine r healthy too. If it an broke ,don't fix it. It the cat
tests neg. why wait for it to be positive? regards, CAthy