From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Melinda Kerr
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:26 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Keep Cats Indoors

My crazy Fuji just wants to make friends with them.  She brought us a bird
that fell out of a nest once. She brought another one, and then let it go
(alive) when it was time to come in.  I have caught her a few times with the
hamster, but she has never hurt her.  I suppose she just doesn't realize
that she is a hunter!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2011, at 9:16 AM, create_me_...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have ferals & the birds seem smart enough to stay out of my yard.

beaches in California, one with a feral cat population and one without. The
beach that is home to feral cats has no birds - remember that most
shorebirds are ground nesters - while the cat-free beach supports a healthy
bird population.
> Of course, our birds have natural predators - some raptors such as
red-tailed hawks prey mostly on birds. Kingsnakes and rat snakes are known
for feasting on eggs and hatchlings. But this is natural predation & so
things are kept in balance. Throw in a highly efficient predator such as a
cat and the balance changes.

Conservancy