My friend does that too and she's had negatives and positives running around
together for many years with no problems.

However, even knowing what I do about FeLV I would have been very hesistant to
bring a FeLV + cat into my house with all my negative cats so I understand
Jannes' worries.  You just hate taking a chance.  I never had to make that
decision.  All my cats and fosters tested negative before coming to my house,
but then we found out that my baby that was two years old that died a few weeks
ago was positive, even though her initial combo test was negative.  So the
virus kind of sneaked it's way into my house.  I didn't realize I already had a
FeLV + cat.  Anyway, before a few weeks ago I was always scared I'd find a
kitten and it would test positive.  Then I knew I'd have to make a choice and
there's no way I could put a healthy looking kitten down so I'd knew I'd be in
a real bind.  It's a tough spot to be in.  That's why I hope for Jannes that
Amber's next test comes out negative so she won't have to worry anymore.

Now my friend that I mentioned wouldn't hesitate taking in a new FeLV + cat
because she's been doing this for years an all her negative cats have always
been fine and keep testing negative.  And she's got a lot of cats.  So if in
her whole population a negative kitty never turned positive after living with a
few positive kitties then it's a pretty good testimony as to how effective the
vaccine is.  I think she's got a couple of FIV cats in the mix too and she
vaccinates them also and they've never picked up the FeLV virus.

Oh, today I got the ceramic paw print in the mail from the vet's office for my
kitty Two Face, that I mentioned above, that died a few weeks ago.  I was sad
all over again.  I miss her so much.  I still can't believe she's dead.  One
day she's fine, and the next day she's dead.  Then I found out about the FeLV.
That was a bad week.