My vet said to keep new negative cats seperate from positives until they had
the vaccination for felv and then just to be safe, wait a cuple of weeks to be
sure the shot worked.  I have done that and my pos and neg cats all have had
free run of the house for 2 years now.  No one new has tested positive so far.