I guess the birds should have stayed dinosaurs, then... ;-)

________________________________

From: LauraM [mailto:hingebacktorto...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tue 3/22/2011 7:56 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Keep Cats Indoors

Yes, the number one cause of bird extinction is habitat loss, but cats are #2.
There's a well-known study that was conducted on a couple of adjacent beaches
in California, one with a feral cat population and one without. The beach that
is home to feral cats has no birds - remember that most shorebirds are ground
nesters - while the cat-free beach supports a healthy bird population.
Of course, our birds have natural predators - some raptors such as red-tailed
hawks prey mostly on birds. Kingsnakes and rat snakes are known for feasting on
eggs and hatchlings. But this is natural predation & so things are kept in
balance. Throw in a highly efficient predator such as a cat and the balance
changes.