From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Beth Noren
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:55 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Cali - 7 month old kitten

Natalie,
Just a note of caution, a mom cat can test negative and still have
positive babies.  Happened to me.  Also, if they are tested
immediately upon rescue, there can be false negatives because the
virus is still incubating and hasn't had time to show up yet.  Also
happened to me.  Even if a rescue or shelter has run tests on mom and
all babies, they should warn people not to put too much faith in a
single test, positive or negative, and emphasize the importance of
quarantining until the adopter can get a second test run.
In my case, I vaccinated my negs and mixed and they are still
negative.  One of the positives made it to 3.5 years, with no FeLV
issues until the very end.  He was a joy to have known, and I still
miss him.

Best wishes,
Beth

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Natalie <at...@optonline.net>
> I would definitely contact PetCo and advise them of this; it is totally
> unethical to adopt out a cat that may be FeLV+ or FIV+- if there was a
> mother cat, she should have been tested.  Depending on the kitten's age at
> the time of adoption, if old enough, she should also have been tested!
 Any