From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of katskat1
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:13 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Heartworm drugs

I live in Ohio and watched one of my dogs die of heartworm - or technically
she died of the reaction to the treatment for heartworm after she was found
to have them.
She had been coughing for months and a local vet said maybe kennel cough but
not much was known about it and she was a free running dog in the country.
A few months later I took her in for her annual vaccinations and new vet
said heartworm had been bad in Ohio the last year or so and suggested we
test.  She came back positive so he started the treatment before we left
that day telling me there were risks but she would likely die for sure if
something wasn't tried.  That night she came home and collapsed in the front
yard and I watched her die.  Her heart stopped. 10 PM at night, nearest
emergency vet was almost 2 hours away but didn't matter cause I didn't know
they existed at the time and they were in another city and no emergency
listings in local phone books.  Vet I had taken her to had gone to his
daughters graduation that night and called back too late but said he
probably wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway.  Autopsy showed she
had more worms than heart left.
I will NEVER not treat a dog for heartworm again.
Period.
Kat

On 7/20/11, Natalie <at...@optonline.net> wrote:
> I guess it's "you're damned if you do and damned if you don't"!

But there are choices for HW meds...