How sad.........I am glad he was surrounded by friends when he left.
On Jul 21, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Edna Taylor wrote:

We recently rescued an emaciated, obviously abused Rottie mix and his HW status was so high that after talking to the vet we decided that given his body weight, unknown history, fact that he couldn't be neutered until after treatment, lack of foster homes and that the treatment would probably kill him, we loved him, played with him and as he chewed on a toy, we let him go. He was surrounded by people who cared about him in the end and sometimes, that is all we can do : ( His previous "owners" (I use that term loosely) failed him.

HW treatment is something so simple, yet I would hazard to guess that 90% (maybe more) of the dogs going into shelters and/or rescued are HW+.

From: ti...@mindspring.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:23:26 -0400
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Heartworm drugs

I'm so sorry this happened... Heartworm is basically very silent until it gets so bad the dog is in real danger. They seem to be learning all sorts
of new things about treatment which is now more complicated then when
Immiticide was first developed. Problem is that unless vet is very familiar w. treatment, they may not know about newer protocols. American Heartworm
Assoc does a decent job of describing those. But even if those are
followed, Immiticide is basically arsenic and all sorts of things can
happen. It doesn't kill adult worms but it sterilizes female worms. It does kill instantly the microfileria and as those enter the bloodstream in mass, they can create a clot which kills a dog. Then there is the more newly found parasites that actually live in an adult hw & also die & can
also cause a clot. That requires doxy for a couple of weeks before
treatment begins. And dogs need have absolute rest during treatment---not easy to do! For older, more fragile dogs, sometimes the best course is Ivermectin (Heartgard)--sterilizes worms & over a course of time, they die.
Risky but sometimes less risky than Immiticide treatment.

Basically, there is no good reason to risk subjecting a dog to this--the
costs have come down & though I'm always reluctant to over medicate,
Interceptor is one pill I don't ever forget to give my dog every month.