Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:48:43 -0400
From: furrygi...@gmail.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Please Share Thoughts on TNR Dilemma

Yep my thoughts exactly, there just is no end to the weird situations that come
up. Had one where the chip contact info was all outdated (phones didn't work,
moved, etc.), kept doing internet searches & Yahoo suggested a different
spelling of the last name--name had been spelled incorrectly on the chip
records.  Still were skeptical as the cat was found at a very obvious/common
dumping spot, but turned out the chip info was from the original owner (just
last name spelled wrong but I located once Yahoo figured that part out) who had
adopted the cat to a friend a year prior...friend dumped the cat, to the
original owner's shock (and showed no remorse when contacted)...orig. owner
felt horrible and took the kitty back.

Have had more than one where I was only able to find the owner, in situations
where it was a very, very old cat (18+, 2 cases like this) but chip not
registered/contact info not up to date, by asking the chip company where the
cat was chipped (unfortunately, the representatives don't always offer this
info up unless you ask but it can be the missing link) or by guessing the
family vet by the registered address & calling the vet who either knew the cat
or was able to look up the people's name.  Found 2 owners that way.

It sucks people don't keep chip info up to date but have seen every very good
homes go through divorce or other change and forget to do so.

I agree, sounds like this kitty has been on the streets a while, still best to
scan for chip & do homework just in case....

And remember there is a "universal microchip lookup" website.   I have also had
chips we scanned ourselves, gave us the chip # and said "petlink" with a ph#
(or other company), that company had no record...but turned out people
registered with another company.

As a rescuer, I have been very frustrated by these experiences as it tells me
the average joe cat finder won't know/think to try all these things which makes
finding owners even harder...this happened to me once where the chip info WAS
up to date, but, registered to AKC and not coming up via other searches
(including the company/ph# that came up on the scanner when we scanned the
chip).

Sorry to go on, it's a peeve of mine:-)