We had a house fire in 2007.  I threw a couple of cats out the back door before
running out the front myself.  Those cats actually came back in the house!

We were lucky.  The fire department put the fire out before the floor
combusted.  (The fire started in the basement underneath us.)  All the cats ran
to the front of the house and hid under the sofa and loveseat.  No one was
killed in the fire.  We were so lucky.