Oops - my first e-mail got returned too so here it is again.

From: molvey...@hotmail.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: RE: [Felvtalk] Smokey
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:34:08 -0500

I do a lot of TNR on feral cats.  I would return the 8 month old kittens to
your workplace.  It's not terrible and that's what is recommended for most
feral cats.  They will do better returning to their home rather than trying to
move them.  Most feral cats that are relocated will run away to try to find
their way back home.  That can be even worse than where they live.  Sometimes
for various reasons there is no choice but to relocate but it's usually the
very last option for me.  It is very hard to find homes for older feral kittens
and cats.  Taming is possible but it would probably take a long long time, like
a year or more, and from my experience even then they will always be a little
skittish around everyone but the person who tamed them.  I've had some older
kittens that tamed within a few months but most of my older feral kittens have
never totally tamed.  It mostly depends on their personality.  I've even got
one living with me right now that is about 10 years old.  I've been feeding him
since he was a kitten.  Last year he almost died so I brought him home to heal
and then I didn't want to put him back out so he stayed here.  While he was
sick and confined I was able to pet him but as soon as I gave him freedom of
the house he went back to being feral and I still can't pet the little turd.
After 10 years of me feeding him and living with me for over a year he won't
get within a few feet of me.  I just laugh about it.  Like I said, their
personality has a lot to do with it, but in general taming an older feral
kitten will be difficult to say the least.

Yes, the shelter will euthanize.  They cannot adopt them out since most people
come to get a cat they can pet so they have no choice but to euthanize.

Don't feel bad about having to return them to their home.  It's sad but
sometimes there's no other choice.  You have to be prepared because it's
dangerous for them to live outside like that and some don't live long lives but
lots of times there's nothing else than can be done for them but to take good
care of them for their short lives.  However, I do have some feral cats that
I've been feeding for about 11 years.  Getting them fixed will greatly extend
their life span.  They won't fight and get infections which will kill them and
they won't roam for miles looking for a mate.  You did a great service for them
by trapping them and fixing them so you should commend yourself.  I do.
Anybody that can and will do that for a feral is a good person in my book.

If it seems the cancer has definitely spread for Smokey you should give the
salve and tonic a try.  It's really cheap compared to most natural cancer
curing stuff that doesn't even work and worth a shot.  If nothing else it could
make him feel better and extend his life some extra months.