Ask about an appetite stimulant such as cyproheptadine or mirtazipine.  I
have had feeding tubes put in several times and would never hesitate to get
another.  Helping   Hands in Richmond Va is an awesome low cost surgery,
and a feeding tube is only $125 total. One thing to watch out for with
hepatic lipidosis is "refeeding injury"... it can cause major problems!

On Thursday, March 22, 2012, Diane Rosenfeldt <drosenfe...@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> I agree that this kitty needs to be looked at for lipidosis. My Luc had a
bout with this several years ago – he had stopped eating and we didn’t
immediately notice, never did find out the reason although the vet
suspected a touch of pancreatitis. We had a feeding port implanted in his
esophagus, a couple inches from his ear. It didn’t bother him too much, and
we were able to feed him watered-down and blundered A-D. Within 2 weeks his
appetite was back on track. First he wanted to lap up the A-D goo, and then
he started eating on his own again. We had to leave the port in for a while
because the surrounding hole had to heal before it could be taken out.
Anyway, he made a complete recovery. It cost us quite a bit since the
emergency vet in the area was the only one who could put in the port, and
Luc had a bad reaction to the anesthetic and had to stay the night there –
that by itself was $600 – but it was money well spent to save our guy. He
was 13 at the time (and FeLV-).

felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Natalie
> Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:50 PM
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Kitty with jaundice
>

> It may not be just jaundice, it could be hepatic lipidosis, which is very
serious! Blood test is a must, and force feeding, fluids (sub-q), and
antibiotics are required!

> I had a cat last summer that went down to 4.5 lbs, to the point where
they wanted to insert a feeding tube through nose or surgically into
stomach to which I said no, because I knew that I could force fed her small
amounts all day long, and she would have been absolutely miserable with any
of the two.  I mixed A-D with some hot water and meds, and used a syringe.
 Within 2 weeks, her values were tremendously improved and she made a
complete recovery.  Hepatic lipidosis happens mostly to female cats. She
was only about 1 ½ - 2 yrs old.  She is a very fussy eater, and I have
finally found the one and only food that she will eat. BTW,  her prognosis
was grim, and the vets were really surprised how I got her well in such a
short time! The poor girl was through a lot, had a litter in the streets
(only 2 survived), and we got her when she was already pregnant with second
litter – too late to abort.

felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Maureen Olvey
> Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:23 PM
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Subject: [Felvtalk] Kitty with jaundice
>

> A friend of mine has two FeLV + cats, littermates about 8 months old, and
one has developed jaundice.  He has lost a ton of weight also.  The last
couple of days he doesn't want to eat although he's not laying around or
lethargic.  Anyone had experience with this?  Anything that can be done or
is this the end for him?

> Maureen
>
> “I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that
are profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts
upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to
me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark
Twain