From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Lee Evans
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:44 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Deciding-when-a-pet-has-suffered-enough

The problem with euthanasia for pets is that most people will use it for
their own convenience.  I have seen this happen several times and it's
really terrible but there is no crime in killing an animal.  We do this
every day to eat them, for sport, as trophies or just because we don't want
them any more.  They don't match the new sofa or they might scratch the new
sofa.  I have a cat rescued from the vet clinic when the woman I was sitting
next to who had a lovely white male cat in a carrier told me she was having
him euthanized because he was an outside cat and it was too much trouble to
call him in at night.  Another woman brought in her two older cats, lovely
Maine Coon mixes, obviously still full of life to have them "put to sleep"
because she and her husband were going on a world tour.  And a third woman
was getting married and her husband to be hated cats so off went her 8 year
old Persian mix.  Well, not exactly off.  I adopted the white cat.  I still
have him.  He tested FIV+ because the woman had not bothered to neuter him
as a teen.  He's in my little FIV+group, perfectly happy to be indoors.  The
world tour people left their cats at the vet clinic and one of the techs
adopted them and the idiot who was marrying a cat hater never knew that her
cat was adopted by one of the secretaries at the vet clinic.  But these
success stories happened because I was there and convinced the technician
and the secretary that death was unfair to the cats and they agreed.

Veterinary medicine is still for the benefit of the "owner".  Animals are
considered property rather than individuals with the right to having a
caregiver and the right to their own lives.  We choose not to see the
suffering of a truly terminally ill companion animal because we don't want
to feel the pain of the loss.  We choose not to see how unethical it is to
kill millions of cats and dogs because there are "too many" around or they
are positive for some disease that they do not have at the present time and
may never actually come down with or any number of other reasons we use to
murder non-human animals.

Everyone will eventually die.  It's a bad plan but we had no say in it.
However, the idea that we have to kill animals because they might die of
this or that is not ethical.  The idea that a human is so precious that we
keep him or her alive way past reason is equally illogical and unethical.  I
don't have any answers so I try to use logic.  I don't euthanize for
convenience.  I allow maximum care for my rescued cats, for my FeLv+ cats
and my FIV+ cats.  I watch to see if their lives have gone beyond the limit
of being useful to them, not to me and then I accept the pain it will cause
me and allow them to pass on.  I don't tell myself fairy tales about where
they go.  I miss them and I accept the grief knowing that they are no longer
in pain or distress.

Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty
neighbors too!

  _____