These people worried about the cats scratching furniture, soiling carpets, etc.
should watch "My Cat From Hell".  After seeing a couple of shows, i came to the
same conclusion, the cat isn't the problem, the PEOPLE are.  This guy really
knows cats.  He has all 7 of mine pegged to the smallest detail.  Followed his
advise and it works, especialy the Clicker.