I'm not a big fan of spot-on flea meds, either, as it only makes scientific
sense that some will survive and be resistant to the poison (as with
bacteria and abx).

I've only had to use them (Advantage, which my vet said is the safest for
cats, but your mileage may vary) once when we had a flea infestation that
was spreading a red blood cell parasite and taking down the one who
originally had it.   When I had some pound kitties come in with fleas, I
only had to give them one Capstar (works for one day and kills only adult
fleas).

In both instances, I also cleaned up the floor--which harbors 90% of the
fleas (in egg/larvae form)--with a solution of food-grade (note NOT pool
grade) diatomaceous earth, water, and non-toxic soap.   I have concrete
floors, so I just painted this on.   (When I use DE dry, it messes up my
sinuses and causes headaches, and isn't that good for kitty lungs, either.)
  I have not had a problem for 2--3 years now.   If you have carpets, I've
read that vacuuming every day (and disposing of the bag or emptying the
canister) will also get most of the eggs.   You can also sprinkle DE or
salt onto the carpet, brush it in, and leave for a day before vacuuming.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Joslin Potter <joslinir...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Honestly, I found that a good old fashion bath with dawn dish soap
> and flea comb has been our best defense this year. ( along with a few house
> bombs) It sucks having to give everyone a bath but i like it more then
> putting greasy drops on my pets.

----------------------------
Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.
<http://www.laanimalservices.com/volunteer_fostercare.htm>

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and
to free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/<http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/>

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially
http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to respond:
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537