Has anyone used the friendly nematodes to spray around the house?  That’s all
we use – except for a new cat coming in with fleas – they get zapped with it
only once, period!

From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
Kathryn Hargreaves
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 8:33 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Flea Products

I'm not a big fan of spot-on flea meds, either, as it only makes scientific
sense that some will survive and be resistant to the poison (as with bacteria
and abx).

I've only had to use them (Advantage, which my vet said is the safest for cats,
but your mileage may vary) once when we had a flea infestation that was
spreading a red blood cell parasite and taking down the one who originally had
it.   When I had some pound kitties come in with fleas, I only had to give them
one Capstar (works for one day and kills only adult fleas).

In both instances, I also cleaned up the floor--which harbors 90% of the fleas
(in egg/larvae form)--with a solution of food-grade (note NOT pool grade)
diatomaceous earth, water, and non-toxic soap.   I have concrete floors, so I
just painted this on.   (When I use DE dry, it messes up my sinuses and causes
headaches, and isn't that good for kitty lungs, either.)   I have not had a
problem for 2--3 years now.   If you have carpets, I've read that vacuuming
every day (and disposing of the bag or emptying the canister) will also get
most of the eggs.   You can also sprinkle DE or salt onto the carpet, brush it
in, and leave for a day before vacuuming.