 From: Kathryn Hargreaves <khargrea...@gmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] The Price of Cat Food

I'm not quite sure how you arrived at the $9/day, at least not based on what I
said.   It seems too low.

Yes, transition to raw is sometimes a slow one, at least for some cats.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Lee Evans <moonsiste...@yahoo.com> wrote:

It would be nice if I could do that but I'm feeding around 35 cats right now.
Feeding raw would cost me around $9 a day with turns into around $250 a month.
On top of which, I would be a little nervous to feed raw chicken to the cats.
Some of them probably wouldn't even understand what it was while others might
throw it up at first.  Cooked chicken would add about 3 hours work to my day.
My freezer would be full of frozen chicken, not defrosted in time for their
dinner and I would go insane.

>The dry food costs me about $100 - $150 a month.  With the price of Kirkland
>going up it would cost me about equal to that because they eat less of the
>Kirkland due to fat content.  Seems to fill them up better.  I used to buy
>Friskies regular type, and Purina Cat Chow (no one wanted to eat
 that).  Then I bought HEB brand Hill Country Fair and all the cats began
throwing up in unison.  Stopped buying that also.  They seem to be able to
digest Paws and Claws, the Tractor Supply brand that cost $20 for 36 pounds but
the older ones lose weight when they eat it.  One of my cats, Isadora lost most
of her fur (long hair) and had scabs and sores on her skin.  I began feeding
Kirkland about 3 months ago and the other day I realized that Isadora had no
more scabs and had grown back her fur.  The fat content did her a whole lot of
good. She looks like she has gained a pound or two and is much more active. Mr.
Buttons (Big Butt-tons) also gained weight on Kirkland.  I need to widen the
doorway for him.
>I will probably have to keep buying the Kirkland and just work harder.
>

>Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty
>neighbors too!
>

>________________________________

Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and to
free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching:
http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to
respond: http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537