They do eat by-products when they eat the whole prey, but they are getting
all the rest, too, which they don't get with just by-products (where the
good stuff has been taken out for human consumption).   By-products contain
much less nutrition and are often indigestible.  Note that cats also get
some minerals by eating the dirt that's on the animals.   Guess that's why
some feral feeders just put the food on the ground.  :-)

That has always surprised me when people report that their cat doesn't eat
the organs, as those (exept for feces-filled intestines) are the most
nutritious things in the prey's body, and also (I've read that) the big
cats eat the organs first and bury the rest of the body for the next day.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM, <dlg...@windstream.net> wrote:

> While we are on the subject of raw diet, don't they eat some of those
> things when they catch a mouse, rabbit or squirrel or bird?  The only
> things my guys don't eat are the organs, especially intestines.  Other
> wise, they eat the whole thing.
>

> --
----------------------------
Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.
<http://www.laanimalservices.com/volunteer_fostercare.htm>

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and
to free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/<http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/>

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially
http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to respond:
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537