---- Kathryn Hargreaves wrote: > What pound was this? > > That's one of the
only good things about the pounds around here is that > they don't test for
FIV/Felv, so then they don't kill for it. Of course, > I think they should
test, and still not kill for it. > > These are the open-admission No Kill
(saving 90%+) shelters in the U.S.: >
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/ Since > they
made you wait for an opening, they are not open-admission by that list >
compiler's standards. There are many so-called no-kill (note the > lowercase
letters) ``shelters'' that are not open-admission, and many say > they are
no-kill even if they do kill, presumably to get donations. > > The only way you
can absolutely tell if a pound is a No Kill shelter is to > somehow get their
intake/transfer/kill stats---sometimes via FOIA (Freedom > of Information Act).
If you're lucky, they post them on their website. > > Most pounds in this
country are just killing machines, unfortunately. See > the bottom of my
messages for how to change this. Fortunately, now that > people know it can be
done, they are demanding their pounds become No Kill > shelters. All it will
take is time. Hopefully, in my lifetime. > > > On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 7:15 AM,
Alev Durmus wrote: > > > Dear all, > > > > I feel for all of you who lost your
cat(s). I have lost one too many and I > > can't bring myself to think losing
another one. I would like to share > > something with you all and ask your
opinions and advice since I am not > > originally from the US and I don't know
how things go over here plus I > > might not be thinking straight because I am
very upset. This happened on > > Saturday and I have been crying since... > > >
> I came across to this cat-we named her River-less than 2 weeks ago cross > >
the road from my home in an unused shed. I usually don't look around but > >
for some reason, I looked towards the shed and there she was looking at > >
me...She was not moving a lot, sickly and skinny. I started feeding her, > >
she ate a lot and became more energetic in 2 days. She had started > >
wandering around since she wasn't starving anymore and I became afraid of > >
coyotes killing her or cold weather coming soon. I called the local no-kill > >
shelter to ask what to do. They told me to take pictures and uploaded on > >
their facebook page in order to locate her owners. She definitely had > >
owners once and probably was dumped...She was a very loving sweet cat. I > >
suspected, being a house cat she didn't know what to do to feed herself and > >
that's why she was in that shape. After a while she was so great, even if > >
she was not in the shed, she would come running when I called her. A few > >
days later shelter called and said they had an opening for her. This was a > >
good timing because of freeze warning coming to our way. I already have > >
another cat and I didn't want to bring her home without knowing that she is > >
healthy...We-me and the kids-were so happy to bring her to safety. They > >
asked me to sign a form saying that I gave all her rights to the shelter. I > >
was puzzled but knowing that it was a no-kill shelter I was > > not that
concerned. I put a note saying that I was not the owner and she > > probably
had an owner...I asked a lot of questions, when would we know > > about her
health, how can we adopt her, can I visit her etc.? I told them > > we were
planning to adopt her but my husband needed to be convinced...They > > told me
the vet would be coming on Thursday and the blood test would be > > back and
she would be in pet finder after a while. They said no to > > visitation and no
to adopting her right from the shelter...I said what if > > someone adopts her
before we see the ad, please call me etc...And then we > > left. I didn't know
that I brought her to her death by my hands thinking I > > was doing the right
thing... > > > > I called them Saturday and they informed me that they "put her
to sleep" > > on Friday because she had FeLV+...I said why didn't you call? no
> > answer...Between killing an animal and making a phone call they picked > >
killing her. After I read online that there are many false positive on this > >
test ( I don;t think anyone bothered to do the second test) and even if she > >
was positive she could be living a long life in a one-cat household...I > >
can't believe any animal lover would be that quick to kill one without > >
exploring other options or calling someone-me- who showed extreme interest > >
on saving this cat...Please anyone let me know if this is what they do in > >
the shelters? Is there anything we can do to change their policy? She even > >
gave me a line of " oh, you did such a good job taking care of her, she > >
would have died if not for you" > > > > No one ever mentioned me killing the
cat-never...If they did I wouldn't > > leave River there. > > > > Please drop
me a few lines, I am still crying and I think I owe this to > > River to at
least question their actions...I can't even look over the shed > > which is
cross the road from my home-impossible to avoid and couldn't even > > tell the
kids what happened... > > > > Thank you for all your help, > > > > > > Alev > >
> > ---------------------------- > Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal! > >
If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their >
life. Contact your local pound for information. > > > If you can't bottle feed,
foster an older animal, to save their life, and > to free up cage space. > > >
Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by >
implementing the No Kill Equation: >
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-
In my area they ahve an animal control for dogs, cats are just shot.

equation/> > Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities: >
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/ > > Legislate
better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org > > More fun reading:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/ > > More fun
watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially > http://vimeo.com/48445902