Shirley writes:
<<My Rio Grande treadle wheel on the highest
ratio spins at 40 to 1; I usually treadle 60 times per minute, for
an RPM of 2400. I have treadled 100 times per minute for an RPM of
4000--I had no problems keeping up with that rate when spinning
cotton or cashmere.>>
Ah, another RG owner! How do you wind on at that speed, with fine
yarns? I have not managed to master that on my RG in a year of
intermittent attempts. I can wind on OK at slower speeds (I have the
faster whorl set, too) with sport weight and heavier yarns, but can't
get the 'flip' to work with finer yarns or faster speeds.
<<An RPM of 1500 would be the equivalent of me lollygagging along at
38 treadles per minute--incredibly slow and I'd be so frustrated I'd
scream.>>
That's what I'm trying to say, too. It's not relaxing to try to work
with a tool that doesn't meet one's needs. For me, a slow wheel, or one
with take up problems, or one I can't wind on to, are all very
frustrating. I've threatened more than once to turn my poor Traveler
into kindling because of these and other problems :)
But spinning fast is very enjoyable AND relaxing when the tool is right
for the job. I'm so glad I found my electric spinner, and that I can
upgrade it to go faster when/if my skill allows!
Holly
To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail To restore send: set mail