On 26 May 2005, at 8:26 PM, Eric Dussault wrote:

The difference is that eps in Finale are single page files, and pdf are multi-pages files.

Eric, PDFs can be as many or as few pages as you want. It's just as easy to create a single-page PDF as it is to create a single-page EPS. (Easier, actually, because you don't have to deal with the font warnings and excessively long processing time.)

If you want to export only a portion of a Finale page, it is admittedly slightly easier to use the graphics tool to create an EPS than it is to export a single-page PDF and crop it in Preview. But EPS's created from Finale in OS X don't display correctly on screen, whereas PDFs do. And PDFs created in OS X embed all necessary fonts, whereas Finale-created EPS's don't embed any fonts.

Right now the way I work is that I export my eps always with the same number sequence (001, 002 etc.). The Pagemaker model I use already has the links for, let say, pages 1 to 99. When I export eps after that there is nothing more to do than open the pagemaker file (it automatically update the links) and create Title page, text and so on, and create a booklet for printing. I have seen so far nothing as easy and fast as that, but I am curious to learn other ways.

Eric, like I said, I'm not familiar with PageMaker so I can't say what will work and what won't. Have you tried doing exactly the same thing with single-page PDFs?

I was thinking of the more usual (for me, at least) use for EPS, which is to place musical examples in a text document. Given all the problems with EPS export in OS X -- not to mention the complete inability to use EPS export in Windows -- PDFs seem like a far superior solution, since they are (A) easy to create, (B) display correctly on screen, and (C) are portable, even to computers using a different font set.

(Of course, all of this presumes that you are placing the PDFs into an application that handles PDFs correctly, i.e., not Word or AppleWorks.)

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY