Simon Troup wrote:

The real question to us, Finale user, is that would MakeMusic! take a
long walk again, as did on OSX?

I would have thought that any loss of time making the adjustment would be paid
back by closer parallel development in future.

That would assume that the problems MakeMusic had were with dealing with the Mac chips, not the OS programming.

Different OS, same chip, different programming hassles. I'm not sure, given today's OS design which supposedly shields the software from the hardware or vice versa, whether two different OSs running on the same chip would make development any more similar or parallel.

Another fact that someone else pointed out is that we don't know if it was a stock Pentium chip the demo ran on, or a special one that Intel has developped for Mac use only.

Remember the 386 or was it the 486 where the math coprocessor link was cut on the less expensive version, but the chips were in fact identical? But of course the programming couldn't be identical since the math coprocessor couldn't be accessed in the machines with the less expensive chip.

I wonder if Apple/Intel have some similar sort of not-quite-the-same-pentium design situation where the chip starts out the same but a simple tweak turns it into something that won't run Windows but which Apple knows how to get around so it will run OSX.

Otherwise possibly we can all look forward to running truly dual-boot machines and really having the ability to pick and choose which OS/App combination we want for whatever situation we choose.

--
David H. Bailey