Hey all,

Wow, that's a shocker. It's been rumored for so long, but I never thought it would actually happen. It's too bad, as I really like the technology behind the G5, but IBM just haven't been able to follow through on what initially seemed like a promising processor design. I don't think Apple had much choice, though -- G5's were supposed to hit 3 GHz a year ago and they are still stalled at 2.7.

I just got through watching the WWDC Keynote. According to Steve, the transition to native Intel builds will be trivial for Cocoa apps ("a matter of days"), somewhat more complicated for Carbon apps made with Xcode ("weeks"), and flat-out impossible for Carbon apps made with Metroworks -- these apps must be moved to Xcode first. I gather that's not something you do overnight.

I strongly suspect Finale OS X is still made with Metroworks, but perhaps someone from Coda would like to chime in? [Given the complete fiasco of Coda's initial move to OS X, a little more transparency and honesty -- not to mention timeliness -- from Coda this time around would be most welcome.]

PowerPC apps that have not been recompiled for Intel will run in an emulation layer on Mactels [sigh, not AGAIN] -- called, in this case, "Rosetta". Steve has assured us that it's "nothing like Classic" and will be "completely invisible to the user" and "fast (enough)," but honestly, who knows whether MIDI will even work under Rosetta?

In the long run, I suspect that this, like the move to OS X, will be good for Apple. In fact, it's probably essential to its viability as a computer maker. In the short run, I think we can only really be certain of one thing: that the transition to Intel Macs won't be anywhere near as seamless as Steve's keynote speech made it look.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY