Update on my problems with EPS export.

Somehow, the file that I originally was exporting from was corrupted. I had created it brand-new in MacFin2008 using an older document as a style (so that I could keep all my settings) so that I could avoid the kind of corruption I often see when opening old files in new versions of Finale, but I got screwed anyway.

I was suspecting my edited version of JazzCord (OpenType Postscript font, officially the sort of font that works) or else my freeware version of Dom Casual (TrueType font, this is the one I had pegged as the culprit, since the documentation says no TT fonts can work in EPS export) that I use for a couple of characters in my chord suffixes.

I opened a NEW Finale 2008 document, using the factory JazzFont defaults. I created a staff of music and it exported fine, as I always expected it would.

Then I copied a passage from my other file (the one that WOULDN'T export EPS properly) to my new file, but without the chords. It exported fine, too.

Then I copied the same passage WITH the chords to my new file, so both custom fonts were present. I expected the EPS export to choke on the presence of the TT font, but no, it exported EPS fine, no problem!?!?!?

Well, enheartened by this development, I copied the entire document over to the new Finale file, formatted it, exported EPS to my heart's content, and all is well! Apparently, TrueType fonts are perfectly capable of being in EPS files, and mine in particular are no problem at all.

I still don't understand what went wrong. The original file still doesn't work, but at least I got all of my two days of work copied over to a new document and the EPS's exported properly.

I have seen more file corruption in 2007 and 2008 than in all the previous versions put together. I am hard-put to find a single document in these two versions that hasn't had some sort of strange problem that goes away when I clear the problem measure, or else copy the document contents to a new file. It drives me nuts.

Christopher

(who now knows more about TrueType, PostScript Type 1, and OpenType fonts than he thought he really needed to know.)

And thanks to all who responded with helpful suggestions.




On Aug 19, 2007, at 11:13 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

Hi collective wisdom, especially those of the Mac persuasion.

I am on an Intel Mac, and I have created a dozen or so one-line musical examples in FinMac 2008 for a handout that I have exported as EPS files, all fonts included.

The resultant word processing file (I was working in AppleWorks 6, but the same thing occurred in Microsoft Word 2004 when I tried it) would not print. Both my printers simply ignored it. I tried printing a single page, same results, unless I tried a page WITHOUT a musical example on it, then the page printed perfectly.

I tried printing to PDF (thinking that I would be able to print the resulting PDF file more easily) but no. The PDF got created, but the screen display was the same crappy low-rez preview I get in AppleWorks, and the file would not print to either of my printers, getting ignored again.

It would appear that EPS is broken in 2008. I spent all day creating those examples, and I feel like tearing my hair out rather than do it all again in 2006, the last version I know works for sure (I dare not try 2007, as I was a late adopter and I don't feel like being an unpaid beta tester for a version that isn't even supported any more).

Anyone have any success with EPS exportation from 2008, Mac version? Any ideas of things I might not know about to get it to work?

Thanks in advance.

Christopher

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to