At 12:18 AM -0400 9/6/07, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
On 9/5/07, John Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Modern performances with one singer on a part do not use young boys
 whose voices have not changed, or young university men whose voices
 have not been thoroughly trained.  At least that is true of every
 example I have heard.

Have you heard the Harnoncourt Bach cantata edition? He uses boys
choirs for the chorus and soprano/alto solos.

Yes, I know them well. But that isn't what I was saying. I've yet to hear a one-on-a-part performance with boys and young men singing not only the solos but the "choruses." Both the Kings College and the Wienerknaben choirs of boys and men were closer to 20 singers each, and I admit that's what I have thought of as the "Bach" sound. (NOT the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with the Berlin Phil!!!)

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music