But Eric's main point was -- why not rewrite the plug-in AND add the new capability to the expressions? As Eric says, it has long been a hallmark of Finale to be able to do things in multiple ways, so that each user could find the method which works best for him/her.

I'm not sure I follow your logic, though -- when you say "double-click in the score" don't you need to be in a particular tool? In other words, if you have just used Speedy Entry, then double-click outside the edit box, expressions become the active tool?

I don't have 2009, so I can't test Florence+Michael's method, but it seems to me as if there must be at least one more mouse-click to their method than is mentioned.

David H. Bailey

Florence + Michael wrote:
I would call it "buried" in the expression designer. Double-click in the score to see the list of expressions. If the tempo marking you want is already there, just use it. If it isn't already there, one click takes you to the Expression Designer where you can create the tempo marking.

If you use the old plug-in, you have the choice: either you go straight to the plug-in, at the risk of unnecessarily creating a tempo marking that already exists in the expressions library, or you check first with the expression tool to see if the marking you want is already there. If it is, all's well and good. If it isn't, you'll need to cancel the expression selection dialog, change tools, select the measure and make a choice in the plug-in menu to get to the point where you can create the expression: considerably more work than just one click to get to the Expression Designer.