Generally, when I do work, I don't have tempos already defined, and
when I have used the plugin before, it is creating a tempo for the
first time. So, the whole first part of your argument is nulled.

They should have just updated the plugin. I think it was a quick, easy
way to get tempos into a project. Now it is "buried" for the sake of a
new "feature"?