What prevents me from using it is that it only works in Mac OS9 or the Classic environment so it is dependent on an old mac staying alive.
That old mac requires a printer that has drivers for OS9.
There are none so instead it requires a print to pdf kludge that worked erratically, often requiring one sheet at a time and multiple redos. I can still make it work but the time taken to get printed output is now longer than the extra time it takes to work in Finale.
I can send you samples of mine.

The big thing it does is that I can grab anything and move it at any point. It treated this sensibly so, for instance, I could grab a note with its stem and not just the stem nor the head. Secondly I can assign shortcuts to any expression or slur or shape or accent etc and enter them whilst entering notes. For example: input note, push A for accent, p for piano mark, f for a pause, and d to start a hairpin. All without changing tools or modes. I know little about it, but get the idea that mode-switching is now considered generally bad for workflow in computer apps. Thirdly it had linked parts from the start which had more sensible linkage than Finale has now.
Fourthly ability to lock anything down no matter what I do around it.
I can give quite a list.
I can also give a (smaller for now..) list of things that I prefer about finale. Entering rhythmic values is a big one. Running on a mac that is not 7 years old is the biggest! Please just take this as an answer to the question not an anti-Finale rant.. The more help I receive from this list the more I enjoy Finale.

Igor will still work on a windows machine. I considered it but changing platform to use dead and unsupported software seemed a whole lot less appetising than switching (back) to Finale.

Steve P.

On 1 Feb 2011, at 13:43, dc wrote:

Steve Parker écrit:
And I would (controversially no doubt) put Igor Engraver above all of
them..
Which is probably not good form on the FInale list ;-)
The big caveat is that it's dead in the water..

What prevents anyone from using dead software if that's what gives the best results? At least on a Windows machine, running 10-year-old software isn't a problem. Are there any samples to be seen anywhere of this top-notch software?

My question is: what can Igor or Graphire do that Finale can't do? Or what can they do in an easier and/or quicker way?

I remember asking the same question to a Score devotee towards the end of the last century and her only answer was that she preferred Score's algorithms.

Dennis








_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to